Muda Scantrad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muda Scanlation group. Come and have fun with us!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
WE MOVED! PLEASE VISIT US HERE FROM NOW ON! - WE MOVED! PLEASE VISIT US HERE FROM NOW ON! - WE MOVED! PLEASE VISIT US HERE FROM NOW ON! - WE MOVED! PLEASE VISIT US HERE FROM NOW ON! - WE MOVED! PLEASE VISIT US HERE FROM NOW ON!
ATTENTION: In short, we will be moving all our releases to a blog! The rest of the forum will keep running normally.
Now follow us on Twitter!! @MudaScans
If you wanna have some chat with us, come here ^^ : irc://irc.irchighway.net/Muda-Scanlations
If you want to help us with the edition of our series, don't forget to apply here!

Share | 

Redrawing tips and nips!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
B-one
Lucky Ducky
Lucky Ducky
B-one

Joined date : 2010-07-24
Awards :  

Vongola Sun Guardian Forum Police Medal Lucky-ducky Medal! I luv da supah ducky Medal

Redrawing tips and nips! _
PostSubject: Redrawing tips and nips!   Redrawing tips and nips! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Forgot I started this...sorry Meg^^. Anyhow, this tuto is about tricks that I often use (I hope I'm not the only one haha) when redrawing.

Let' say you have this awesome page:

Redrawing tips and nips! Cleanedpage

You'll often get pages like this when you typeset, it's cleaned and the original text is still there to give you an idea of how it was placed .

And you'll get a translation along with it:

trans:

[editorial]It's also part of your job as a typesetter to read the text you paste in the bubbles. You're the final Quality checker most of the times. So you found a typo in the translation. Good for you! Correct it monkey! Something is missing or doesn't make sense? Talk to the translator/someone who knows whatever language it was translated from (missing bubbles/page are the common problems). Just for your info, "impatient" is misspelled in that translation, hope you saw it :p.[/editorial]

Now to real redrawing~

General stuff of the page:

Let's start by removing all the useless Japanese bits out of the page, it should look like this.

Redrawing tips and nips! Textremoved

That is the page that we'll spend some fun time on ^^.

I'll separate the tuto on the different redraws that we'll have to do on this page. I'll detail the description depending of the difficulty of the redraw. If it's easy, less detail/picture and how-to. The hardest redraws should cover most of the tricks needed to do the easy one. So if you don't get it, keep reading~

1- Top panel, bottom left redraw:

Easy one, I recommend using the pen tool to do those lines. If you don't know what the pen tool is or how to use it, I suggest you to read these links:

pen tool:

For this part, I just erased the Japanese bits and made the path with the pen tool. It says in the pen tool tutorial to stroke the path twice but I recommend doing it up to 4 times sometime. It just depends on what kind of line you are trying to follow. Don't forget to create a new layer in which you'll put your lines in, so you don't erase them when you'll be cloning the background later on.

It should look like this when you are done:

Redrawing tips and nips! 18536748

Now you should take the brush tool to fill in the black and the clone stamp tool for the grey pattern on the skirt. The leg is a great place to steal the pixels from since it's wide. From my experience, taking a huge chunk off something gives us a better overall effect than just taking a spot and redoing it over and over. Even if the grey seems pretty uniform, it isn't :p !

It should look a bit like this:

Redrawing tips and nips! 73105821

So we're done with that part, now off to the other side!

2-The Other side of the skirt and the text:

Same story with the other side of the skirt, erase the bits, pen tool it:

Redrawing tips and nips! 68263416

See here you have to stroke it quite a few time or take a higher pixel value for your line tool.

It should look somewhat like this when you're done:

Redrawing tips and nips! 59272895

Redrawing like the name says is redoing something, but sometime you can't see the thing it was before, like the bench here. So it's my assumption that there are 2 line there and that the skirt will end this of that way. This is what differenciate a good redraw from a bad: if you can create something that could have been done by the author. That takes practices and that is why you're here I guess uhuhuh...

Here's what I cam up with:

Redrawing tips and nips! 47505065

It's not bad, could have done better, yours would probably look different, this was my vision of it and I reworked it later on. You'll see that later on with the rest of this redraw.

Now onto the text... yeah were doing this in the goal to put text there lol, so get on with it. Take the text, choose a font you like, and paste it in text box. Try to shape it in the form a diamond. A bit like this:

Redrawing tips and nips! 63523503

As you can see, we can't see the black on blacks. You'll have to select your text, go to the layer menu > layer style > stroke. Chose your width and white color (most of the time). Make sure you don't make an ass of yourself and take a huge stroke so you don't have to redraw much, we don't do speedscans here! Yarr!!! For the purpose of this tutorial I chose a minimal stroke and spaced font and I'll actually redraw everything (even under the text)... but it should somewhat look like this (could be bigger with a bigger stroke tho.

Redrawing tips and nips! 45457532

[update]
Ok now the hard part, the undertext. Hide your text layer (do that if you want to completely redraw something for a text section like this one, it's better if you do to preserve the flow, but it's possible to leave the text there and try to clone the surroundings... but that's not the point of this tuto right?). Now we need to scavenge here and there and you want to see what you're doing. You're a pixel thief. Take a section that fits well with what you have to erase and clone it over (doesn't have to be a perfect match, but cloning a bit section is easier than just doing cloned "spots", you need to follow the pattern) Here's what I took:

Redrawing tips and nips! 10174932

You get the idea, it's easier to go by layer... the grey, and then the lines. Speaking of lines... you can either go with the line tool (I always use that) or you can clone a section... like this:

Redrawing tips and nips! 96613074

Cloned a section you didn't want to? like a line. Or you just want to make it different than the section you've clone so you don't have a what I called a lagged effect (twin parts one next to the other). Reclone a clean section of the section.

Redrawing tips and nips! 66522674

Do the same thing with the other lines... decide what's easier for you. Which one is easier to redraw manually? I'd go with the horizontal ones. So clone the other over them like this:

Redrawing tips and nips! 52822862

Taking a sample from both ends and trying to make it flow together usually gives you a better effect than let's say, taking the top lines and making them go all the way down. Sometimes you don't have the choice. The only thing you can do it arrange the art to your liking (that's not good, don't do that if possible). I/E taking the top lines and go all the way down and make them go over the whitish ones at the bottom so it doesn't break your "flow". Doable, but like I said, try not to do it even if it's sometimes easier.

Manual labour time with the line tool, 1-2 pix anti aliased, black, voilà:
Redrawing tips and nips! 210jo

Keep it up, scavenge around try it out, use the line tool here and there, redo it when you fuck up^^.
Here are some pointers for what I did:

Redrawing tips and nips! 211vu

lines here
Redrawing tips and nips! 212fe

final results... could have done better...do better than me, I went fast and sloppish with that months ago it seems... result is not important just want you to know how I do this... do better than me and you pass :p.

Redrawing tips and nips! 214ib

With the text:

Redrawing tips and nips! 216we

Try it, will maybe complete the page soon. post a psd, I want to see your layers.
Back to top Go down
B-one
Lucky Ducky
Lucky Ducky
B-one

Awards :  

Vongola Sun Guardian Forum Police Medal Lucky-ducky Medal! I luv da supah ducky Medal

PostSubject: Re: Redrawing tips and nips!   Redrawing tips and nips! EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Update people, you can try it now, post your results in your training thread or pm them to me.
Back to top Go down
HeiDenReX
Cleaner
Cleaner
HeiDenReX

Joined date : 2010-10-25
Awards :  

Vongola Lightning Guardian Cleaning Olympics 2010: Third place.

PostSubject: Re: Redrawing tips and nips!   Redrawing tips and nips! EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 8:33 pm

this make me sick, :/

anyways i will try this one. :DD
Back to top Go down
itamaesan
Muda Scantrad's Princess
Muda Scantrad's Princess
itamaesan

Joined date : 2010-08-10
Awards :  

Vongola Mist Guardian Muda Scantrads Royal Family Helping Hand Award

PostSubject: Re: Redrawing tips and nips!   Redrawing tips and nips! EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Hellz. Freaking. Yeah. XD
Back to top Go down
B-one
Lucky Ducky
Lucky Ducky
B-one

Awards :  

PostSubject: Re: Redrawing tips and nips!   Redrawing tips and nips! EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:50 am

Hum... what is that comment lol? ^^

Post your results peeps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redrawing tips and nips!   Redrawing tips and nips! Empty

Back to top Go down

Redrawing tips and nips!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muda Scantrad :: Scanlation Lobby :: Help-